The Battle of Britain 4 Sovereign Set - the ¼, ½, full & double sovereigns
Minted in partnership with the Royal Airforces Association.
Battle of Britain 4 Sovereign Set - the ¼, ½, full & double sovereigns
- Issued to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain - Minted in partnership with the Royal Airforces Association.
- Comprises the ¼, ½, full & double sovereigns sovereign,
- Struck to proof quality and in solid 22 carat gold.
- Flown in a Wartime Spitfire on the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain.
- Features the 75th Anniversary ‘Flown in the Spitfire’ Mint Mark which verifies these sovereigns flew over the skies of Britain on the Battle of Britain 75th Anniversary memorial flight
The Battle of Britain was a time unequalled in our history - our nation’s ‘finest hour’ - and the 15th September will forever be remembered as “Battle of Britain Day” - the day that the battle was won, a day that changed the course of the War, and with it, the course of history.
Marking 75 years since that historic day, The London Mint Office and the Royal Air Forces Association (RAFA) arranged a very special Battle of Britain commemorative flight. A wartime Spitfire took off from RAF Biggin Hill, on 15th September 2015, with a unique cargo on board - a selection of the Official Battle of Britain Gold Sovereigns. This set therefore not only pays tribute to a crucial moment in history but is actually a part of history.
The sovereigns' design takes its cue from the ‘Wings for Victory’ created by eminent British sculptor William McMillan. On the reverse the motto of the Royal Air Force PER ARDUA AD ASTRA (‘Through adversity to the stars’), encircles a winged figure about to strike a three-headed serpent. The figure represents the strength of the Allies, while the three heads symbolise the three Axis powers - Germany, Italy and Japan.
Struck in 22 carat Gold, the traditional purity reserved gold sovereigns and to Proof quality - these coins feature the exclusive 75th Anniversary Flight privy mark, which verifies that your set of sovereigns flew over the skies of Britain on the Battle of Britain 75th Anniversary memorial flight.
- 22 carat gold
- proof finish - the highest possible
- 1.99g | 3.99g | 7.98g | 15.97g
- 13.50mm | 19.30mm | 22.05 mm | 28.40mm
- Issuing Authority:
- The Government of Gibratlar
- Four Sovereign Set of ¼, ½ , Full and Double Sovereigns
- Year of Issue: