The Official Battle of Britain 75th Anniversary Gold Sovereign Set
Struck in association with The Royal Airforces Association
The Battle of Britain 4 Gold Sovereign Set
- This spectacular set comprises the complete sovereign family - a quarter, half, full and double sovereign, each struck to proof quality and in solid 22 carat gold.
- Limited Mintage – only 199 sets available worldwide
- Struck in Proof Quality
- Commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain in 2015
- Exclusive Battle of Britain Privy Mark
- Features the symbolic ‘Wings for Victory’ design
- Type: Single
- Availability: Low
Issued to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain this very special series of gold sovereigns has been minted in partnership with the Royal Airforces Association.
This spectacular set comprises the complete sovereign family - a quarter, half, full and double sovereign, each struck to proof quality and in solid 22 carat gold, and features and the exclusive privy mark of a 1940 spitfire with the inscription ‘Battle of Britain’.
The reverse features the symbolic ‘Wings for Victory’ plaque, depicting a male figure grappling with a three-headed serpent. Each of the three heads represents the three major Axis Powers during the Second World War.In the design, you’ll see the motto of the Royal Air Force, PER ARDUA AD ASTRA (‘Through adversity to the stars’), encircling a winged figure about to strike a three-headed serpent. The figure represents the strength of the Allies, while the three heads symbolise the three Axis powers - Germany, Italy and Japan.
Struck in solid 22 carat gold, the traditional purity of all gold sovereign coins, the obverse of each sovereign features a portrait of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Ian-Rank Broadley. The Battle of Britain four coin sovereign set is a fitting 75th Anniversary tribute to the heroes of Battle of Britain.
- .916 - 22 Carat Gold
- 1.99g| 3.99g| 7.98g| 15.97g
- 13.50mm| 19.30mm| 22.05mm| 28.40mm
- Issuing Authority:
- The Government of Gibraltar
- ¼| ½| Full | Double Sovereign
- Year of Issue:
- Limited Edition:
- Only 199 sets available worldwide