Here are some fun facts about the momentous day:
1. April 29, 2011 was a national holiday, allowing the British public to celebrate our future King and Queen consort’s special day.
2. Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue –
Some of the lace on Kates dress was old, her diamond earrings were a new gift from her parents, her tiara was on loan from Her Majesty The Queen and Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen sewed a blue ribbon inside her dress.
3. Kate’s bouquet featured a flower called Sweet William.
4. Kate’s wedding band is made of Welsh gold.
5. The 1902 State Landau carriage used to carry the newlyweds past the crowds was also used by Prince Charles and Diana, Princess of Wales at their wedding.
6. On the weeks leading up to the big day Kate took a few make-up lessons from London makeup artist Arabella Preston, and on the day the soon-to-be duchess created her own softly romantic look.
7. Prince William received not one but three new titles: On the day of his wedding, William became the Duke of Cambridge, the Earl of Strathearn, and Baron Carrickfergus. Since he already had a title in Wales (Prince of Wales), he now has one for each of the four countries in the United Kingdom.
8. Over 2 billion people watched the royal wedding live.
9. Kate left out the command to “obey” in her vows. Just like her mother-in-law Princess Diana, Kate kept that she would “honour” and “keep” her husband in her vows but took out that she would “obey” him.
10. Kate’s engagement ring once belonged to her mother-in-law Princess Diana.